My experience with Non Profit Organization/Industry.

I come from a humble background of educated family, where almost everyone has prospered on the basis of hard workz determination, courage, and excellent decision making skills with awesome thought process.

Although I too have the skill set as mentioned above, I was just lil low on education. Unfortunately having god grades help you kickstart your career in a way it can propel you with awesome working experience.

I had to join non profit industry having left no choice, and as a milestone to get back to work so that I don't have a gap in the start of a career.

I acknowledge the fact that it's been a wonderful ride, working in this industry, it's truly remarkable to have get paid not only for the efforts you put in but also for the impact your work creates in the society. This is a direct impact, which motivated me towards doing better and better each day.

I don't know how but I was hired in the organization in the basis of 2 min call and an single interview. This has increased my motivation onto another level altogether.

Needless to say, just from being in to sales I shifted my career in to a strong management role, which pulled me to perform better each day. 

Never did I any day had to be demotived to work in the office. I can say that in this job role I've gained an experience of upto 6-7 years for working just 3-4 years.

I didn't know anything, I didn't had any clue how things worked, I didn't had any info about what the industry was. All I knew was to just keep performing as to whatever it takes. 

There was a person called Tanveer, who was the principal consultant working on this project based on who's suggestions I took up the project and started working on his team for creating demand and establish presence on social media.

I did my best as much as possible, started reporting to the second head of the organization. This was my dream to work under a organization head as I read in an interview about Mukesh Ambani receiving 387 applications just to select 1 executive assistant to work under him. I used to think of it as bullshit, when I began to think of it deeply  I realised it's the 

- having accces of experiencing the reality of running a business from centre head office from where things roll out
- flip and see the business from every angle as you're in the role which is the middlemost of all the tasks and processes running.
- you're in the most risky role without having to bear the risk
- you're in the place which requires high level of motivation, highest quality of work deliverables, highly efficient communication skills, perfectly balanced skill set.
- things are always welcome which are new to the organization but how do you sustain that new thing is a biggest skills
- working with senior management level that too in just start of a career is still a dream for many but I've got the opportunity to achieve that dream.

Things went on so good, I was the youngest one in the whole organization, yet adding most value everyday as my work was equally inspiring, the work was perfectly the way I wanted to pursue since a long time.

It took time for me to understand the industry and the opportunity I had. It was so stressing for me that I had to learn things at night and perform the very next morning in a tight schedule.

This job role has shaped me into who I'm today no doubt, as people change themselves before getting the desired job, but in my case I changed myself being in the job.

I went on to launch, 6 new programs, establish digital presence, enhance all the process, bring innovation to the core of it, build counseling skills, studying the market in a way that I can get the pulse of the market, and take up responsibility of even training and development of entry level workforce and newly inducted employee.

I remember Jack Ma's quote, work like anything when you start up try almost anything which you can get your hands on upto 25 years, identify what you want to work on by he age 30, build a core skill by the age of 35, by age 40 go on to build a strong profile and aspire to become a leader, after 45 age achieve the performance with remarkable effort and after 50 years try to reinvest, make the most of this task and produce more people like you eventually become a good leader.

Everything was going in good, but why I decided to quit for pursuing a career behind this industry.

Nom profit is an industry which people pursue during their retirement, it's also an industry where nothing happens and often termed as government office too. People here are chilled, come and observe things to do leave back to their homes having done whatever amount of work they could do.

Where as this is not the case, non profit industry works very efficiently in par with the profit making industry, except just metrics and approach almost everything is same. 

Infact it's due to the non profit sector that the for profit sector thrives, if there wasn't any non profit organization there wouldn't be any solutions for serious social problems like unemployment, health, disability, skilling and education and many more.

Each time non profit industry works and adds a normal person on the radar of basic minimum skills, with basic income as prescribed by the govt it gives the for profit sector to make them their customers and that's the Beauty of the process that, for profit sector invests back in the society so that it can build a next million customers to uplift them from the bondage of the social problems they are into and get on par with normal class of people.

This type of an effort is called CSR- corporate social responsibility. This a govt act which decrees companies to invest back 3% of their average profits on social welfare. The companies either invest back directly, or set up social organisation or even invest via implementation agencies.


Things go great, but it's the people who ruin things. Non profit industry requires passionate individuals with multiple skillsets, with strong purpose. 

There's a thin line between working with passion and interest to being taken for granted.

There's also difference between what's your deliverability is and what can be delivered.

In non profit industry things work very differently than other industries. Your perspective is changed, your mindset changes, your work style changes, your job will be equally motivating as well as demotivating too.

What I've experienced is that if it was 7-8 years ago it'd be better as a career option. Presently the Industry is in turmoil, companies are focused on no.s, rather than impact. Government plans to reimplement it's models after failing 2 times, not able to control quality, leading to lower impact oj the end user.

In this organisation people are evaluated by how much you're listening to them satisfying their ego. Think of it this way, if you've been in the same organization across designation over these many years it's obvious that you'd have become the process yourself and know the in and out of the whole system which a new comer would never be able to compete with in any best scenario. 

Things go ugly when self motives and needs are prioritised over the organization goals. Market requires something else and the service being offerred is something else. It's the same as market has asked for a burger but the market is being forced to eat a pizza which it already had.

Employment and social sector is run on emotions, there's no other way it can be dealt with organization goes deeper and deeper by doing research but the depth is not felt by the actual people as they're already too lethargic being in there. 

Primarily people have started thinking if they are being used by the corporates for their own benefits which is too wrong.

People in NGOs should realise what's required and what's important and execution is important as it's dealt with people directly. Govt schemes and incentives are already known to many people than the industry itself.

Although it's good to learn in thus industry but not a place to grow, not place to build a career, not a place to invest 100% and not a place to stay in for a long terms sooner or later you'll be pissed off just because of people which would eventually bring in no results leading you to re-think whether this is important or something else! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seed these habits !

Healing After a Breakup !

Anybody can be a marketer with these simple terms.