Are you in your comfort zone?

Some people want to stay in the comfort zone. Some people want to take risks.

What kind of person are you?

You like to take risks? Or do you want to stay comfortable?

People who stay in a comfort zone, like being comfortable. But they also pay a price for that comfort. The price is being mediocre. People who always stay in their comfort zone will not achieve anything big in life.

They do not get to the edge of their comfort zone, but all growth happens at the edge of your comfort zone.

Everyone has a creative gift. Creating new things is what makes human life meaningful. Human life is enriched by music, movies, businesses, apps, tools, software, technology and so on.

If you are not adding to that enrichment by being a creator yourself, you are missing out on your potential as a human being.

Most of the people are stuck in jobs where they do not create something new. You need to take risks to pursue a career where your creation can take shape. People who are placing a priority on unleashing their true potential take more risks in life.

Take my example...

I've always felt that I had a lot of value to offer to this world as a marketer, blogger and trainer, counselor, etc. I feel my potential was limited when I was working in the early days. (I did not have time to write posts like this, nor counsel people and create courses).

I felt it was unfair to my writing potential. Unfair to my creative inner being. I had to take a risk.

The risk was taking an initiative.

Without that risk, the rewards will not have come. Higher risks = higher reward.

But we should not be reckless risk-takers. Reckless risk-takers are like the people who drive sports bikes without a helmet. Just because you have to take a risk doesn't mean you have to put yourself in danger.

The kind of risks I am asking you to take is - Calculated Risks.

When I started taking risks, I already started making some money on the side.

If I had quit my job without having any side income - I would be a reckless risk-taker. That could have put my financial life in danger. That's not the kind of risk I was willing to take. I might have had to find another job very soon, and I could not have achieved my dream of doing what I love to do.

The risk I took was - working on the weekends while my friends were partying and going out with their boys and girls. I had the risk of investing efforts - and not seeing anything in return. There is no guarantee of return when you are doing something new.

And all of us humans have a natural tendency to gravitate towards guarantees. That's why insurance sells so much, and government jobs are still in demand and people want to get married and get "locked-in" as soon as possible with whatever they've found.

Wanting that guarantee comes with a cost. Not wanting guarantees and being OK with uncertainties in life is a risk in itself. That's the risk I am talking about here.

DO NOT take risks with money. Don't take risks with your money, or your friend's, your parent's, not definitely not with your bank's money.

Take risks with your time & energy.

A startup needs the founder's time and energy in the initial days more than capital.

Do today what you always wanted to start. Do something and see results. The results will motivate you to do something more.

Wanted to start a blog?

Write your first blog post, register a domain name, and publish your first article today. You just need to initiate it and then it will take the energy of its own. It will gain momentum automatically.

Wanted to start an e-commerce store?

Just do one baby step today. Write the business plan, choose the niche, do some research, and open a Shopify trial store. Just start. Do something. Small. Then see it gather momentum on its own.

What's the worst that could happen?

It will be harder than you thought, and you might have wasted some time doing something. That's the risk you can take. It's a calculated risk. And your time is valuable than the money you can invest.

Now you are probably thinking "Hey Tyson, it is easier said than done, I have no idea where to start." - See that's your comfort-zone talking.

No one can give you a to-do list for becoming successful. You are in a forest, trying to find a way without a map. That's the edge of your comfort zone. A lot of people try taking different risks instead of putting themselves at the edge.  

People take risks like "I'm going to quit my job tomorrow, and start a new business and invest 20 lakhs in it loaned from my friends and family."

A lot of people think that playing with money is risky and they need to take that risk to succeed. Most of such people lose all the money and blame something else for the failure. They are reckless risk-takers and sometimes idiots.

If you are truly strong and want to take risks, invest all your weekends for 3-6 months and write a book. Your risk is that the book will sell some 10 copies out of which 3 orders would have been from your mom. Risk writing 100 blog posts for 1 year and the blog not having any traffic or traction.

Risk speaking at an event about the topic of your expertise and people not liking your talk very much.

It takes guts and courage to take such risks. But your failures are a stepping stone to success. And who knows, you might not fail and actually succeed. Because most people don't take action. The competition is less.

If you fail, you will learn something which will help you get better. And there is no chance you will have 0 results because of your hard work. Something will come back. Energy invested will have energy returned. It's an universal law. I remember my first counseling experience, it went so bad that, the person still doesn't pick my call, indeed that bad it was

You also risk a small investment for a high return.

If you have an opportunity to buy a lottery ticket for 100 rupees for a potential reward of 1 crore and if your winning chances are 10%, would you buy the ticket or not? Of course yes.

You will not say that the lottery is risky and the chances of winning are low. Because here the chances are 10%. You can buy 10 lottery tickets and have a guaranteed win.

The kind of risks I am asking you to take are like that. Small risk and high possibility of return (because most of the people in this world are lazy and even out of the people reading this, only 1/100 will actually take action and take that risk of doing something for no guaranteed return).

Will you be 1 out of that 100?

The answer lies with you.

Whether you are going to start something today or not.

And the downside is very low - the worst is you would have wasted your time. And as a general rule, effort rarely goes into a complete waste. That's where you own the outcome and not output. It's what you become in the process. I failed, I fail and I repeatedly fail and each and every failure teaches me there's a way out and in the process, I learn multiple ways which work and which would not work too. 

We live in a flat world with the internet where you can invest your time and get returns in money. Such opportunities were not available for people 20 years back.

Our parents had to get a government job or had to get a private job, or if they had to start a business, they had to invest a lot of money in it - and a lot of our parents did not have that money to invest in the business. And they did not have the internet where one could build something and grow.

It has taken a long time for the human species to get to the age of digital marketing. And it would be unfair for human evolution if we do not make the best use of it.

The internet is a wealth-generation machine. And all it asks for is you to invest your time in creating something useful for others. It could be an app, a store, a book, a video, a podcast, an online course or anything of value that can be distributed through the internet and create value because you don't know who you're inspiring secretly.

So tell me, are you ready to take that risk?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seed these habits !

Healing After a Breakup !

Anybody can be a marketer with these simple terms.